I was planning to write this post since a while but could not because of I was busy finding a way to make a docker image to handle the building ofjekyll. I finally done it.
Here are the steps to make your own GitHub hosted blog:
- Create a repository named :
I mainly use docker container for building my Jekyll files and I would suggest to use the same to keep your system clean and staying out of trouble.
- clone that repository on your local machine.
- make a directory with any name that you want. For example :
- run the following command in order to make a jekyll site and serve it to local machine so that you can make changes locally.
docker run -d -v /media/devarshi/HDD/dhsathiya.github.io:/content --name=blog -p 127.0.0.1:4000:4000 dhsathiya/ghblog
You can find the dockerfile on Dockerfile.
- Now once run the command you can check your blog running on
127.0.0.1:4000in your browser.
Every changes that you want to do in the blog can be done at
If your changes does not appear after a refresh or more then you have to restart the container by
docker container restart blog
- To publish the blog copy the contents of the
myblog/_site/to your cloned Github repository
git add && git commit && git push
I know the answer why to do the step 6 manually? Not quite sure.
If you find any permission issues on step 7 restart the container and do step 6.
I hope the steps mentioned above worked out for you as well.
If not you can email me or send a DM or twitter.